Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Nesting

The one thing I have sworn up and down I would never try to knit, due to a deep and accepting understanding of my many faults, is an afghan. But here we are, in a new apartment with a new and comfortable sofa and old and charming and above all drafty windows. We've painted the living room and the bathroom cabinets. Shelves have been put up. I re-upholstered the Spooky Chair (not now so much spooky as paisley). And now this has happened:



Yes, my friends, it is an afghan square. Do not be fooled by its meager and rather soggy appearance. It is the first of twenty, each 12" x 12". I have no delusions that it will be done this year (although, technically all I'd have to do is knit two every month and they only take a couple of evenings - you can see where this is going). I have no real illusions that it will ever be done at all, except that I'm using Encore and I can't imagine what else I'd do with 2000 yards of it. Here it is in its basket, lurking:


The Encore is another serious deviation from character, but this thing is obstensibly for the Man, and he will spill things on it. Salsa-y things. Marinara things. Also, it is fairly certain that at some point, the cat will throw up on it. This is a fundamental law of the Universe. Thus, Encore. I chose I lovely mottled tan, called "Fawn Mix", in the hopes that it would more closely resemble real yarn. It is soft and light and OK to knit with, even if it smells like a new car instead of a clean sheep.
One down. Nineteen to go.

No comments: